The following information is supplied as a guide only. Please use at your discretion.
warm up arena etiquette
There are usually many horses warming up in a restricted area at shows, so it is important that all riders have a clear knowledge of arena etiquette when riding in a group. This ensures safe riding and harmony is busy areas. In general, the following rules should be applied:
- Safety is paramount and a collision should be avoided at all times
- Before entering the warm-up area make sure the gateway and immediate track are clear
- Riders should pass left shoulder to left shoulder when on the track
- When not on the outside track, e.g. on a diagonal line, riders should give way to horses on their left
- The more progressive gait has priority on the track
- Halt should not be on the track
- Walk should not be on the track and does not have right of way
- Trot has priority over walk
- Canter has priority over trot
- Lateral work has priority over all paces
- When circling, anticipate your return to the track so as to not stop the flow of other riders
- Mounting, dismounting and gear adjustment should be done off the track
- Consideration should be given to behavior of other horses in the arena that may upset your horse
- It may be necessary if your horse is upsetting others to leave the area
- If a horse is upsetting the majority, an Official should be sought to request that horse’s removal for safety reasons
- Horses are to be lunged in the designated lunging arena
- Lower level riders should not disturb the warm up of higher level riders
As all organisers would know, one of the hardest parts of organising a show is getting enough volunteers. If you are willing to look at paying for helpers, there is a great page on Facebook called Helper Duty Help where you can put a callout for paid helpers for your show. To assist, there is a direct link to this page below.
Below you will find links to assist in running a dressage competition.
Below you will find links to assist in running an eventing competition.
Below you will find links to assist in running a showjumping competition.
Below you will find links to assist in running a show horse competition.